photo 365.jpg

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cheddar and Sage Biscuits

I love carbs. A lot. I can eat the innards of a loaf of french bread in less than an hour (I'm not a crust fan) I absolutely love all things bread. I can eat my weight in pasta when I get a good hankering for it. I just love 'em! Luckily the Lord blessed me (currently) with the ability to enjoy them and not be the size of a house. In fact during this season in particular (breastfeeding) I am enjoying an excess amount of them :) because I am certain my days are numbered on the endless consumption of delicious bread and pasta carbs.

Another recipe from the December issue of Everyday Food caught my eye instantly! How delicious biscuits are - in fact when I go to KFC I might have one piece of chicken and like 4-5 biscuits for my meal - so when there's a good recipe to make them at home I get very excited! Add cheese and fresh spices, yum yum yum! And indeed they were, albeit a tad salty!

Ingredients (as adapted by me):
4 cups of all-purpose flour
2 T of baking powder (yes tablespoons!)
1 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp coarse salt
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 T chopped fresh sage
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1.5 cups of low-fat buttermilk

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 450'. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cheddar and sage. Add butter and mix until it is a texture of a coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces butter remaining. Add buttermilk and mix until combined.
  • Turn dough out until a lightly floured work area and knead just until it comes together. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 3/4-inch thickness. With a floured 2.75" biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits (reroll and cut scraps)
  • Place biscuits on baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden. 12 to 15 minutes.

One of the next thing on my kitchen cooking gadgets and supplies will be a silicon baking mat, however I have yet to procure it. So far wax paper and a taping job has been working sufficiently for my purposes - although you can't roll the rolling pin perfectly with this creation. This recipe calls for a TON of salt and is almost TOO salty. When I make it again I will experiment by removing either 1 tsp of the course salt or perhaps even a tablespoon (sheesh!) of baking powder. I'll have to do a little more research into which would be best to remove. But they are very salty, but still very yummy.

1 comment:

Megan said...

My goodness that looks like a delicious meal!

And I know *exactly* what you're talking about - I can never time my dishes correctly. This past Thanksgiving I ended up with ice cold potatoes and stuffing done an hour late!