photo 365.jpg

Friday, June 5, 2009

He has WHAT?!

On Wednesday morning, my otherwise healthy boy woke up with a cough. Ugh, not another cold! He only coughed a couple of times and seemed in relatively good spirits so we proceeded with our day as normal. We got ready and went for a walk with Vanessa and Sabria. It was another hot day out in the Northwest. Ace and Sabria seemed to be doing ok. We walked to a friend's house who had a pool out with just hose water and Ace who typically is anti anything below 90' got right in and was splashing around. Having a grand old time. On the ride home he got fussy and so I strapped him into the Ergo carrier and walked to rest of the way home with him on me. We were SOAKED by the time we made it home, and he was out, snoozing away - or passed out from the heat - either way. After he woke up he coughed again and that was the first indication it was deeper than a regular ol' cough.

As the afternoon turned into evening, my boys overheated body due to the weather turned into a temperature of 99'-100' - from 7pm to 10am we administered three doses of Tylenol - all to little to no avail in assisting with the fever or the discomfort of the cough. I called the pediatrician who was booked solid. So we made an appointment for Friday at 11am. However over the next hour my baby's breathing got more and more labored and my normally very active baby had been clinging to me all morning with his head on my shoulder. (I haven't had his head on my shoulder since he learned to hold his neck up!)

By 2pm I was taking him to the walk-in clinic. Loving Husband joined us. When we arrived they took his temp, it was 102.3! However by the time we saw the nurse it was 99.9', so I attribute those extra degrees to the ride in the car on a 90'+ day and the fact I was wearing him in the carrier. They stuck a monitor on his toe to test his oxygen level, he hardly seemed to care he was so out of it. They did a nose swab to check for the flu, we waited - that came back negative. The doctor suggested we do a chest xray. A chest xray?! On my baby?! So off we went to radiology. They strapped him into this plasticy high chair of sorts while dad and I on either side held his arms off to the sides. They took two pictures. We waited again. The doctor says he has a general pneumonia. His lungs are all inflamed. He just showed symptoms less than 36 hours ago!? How does he have pneumonia?!

So a prescription was prescribed and baby ibuprofen was recommended over Tylenol and we were on our way. Loving Husband picked up the medication and I grabbed us food as Ace was out before we even got him in his car seat. We gave him the antibiotics which he took like a trooper and spent most of the rest of the evening in our arms or lying next to us with a whimper. Around 8:30pm with his fever still working pretty well, we decided to give him some of the baby-ibuprofen. His fever started to come down and today it has stayed gone. The night was better than the night before but he still woke up crying a few times whenever he coughed.

He is crawling around and standing today and is back to 80%. I almost wish he'd cough more than he is - he sounds a tad wheezy, but today he's smiling. Yesterday he tried to smile, he wanted to smile but he just couldn't for real. Today his smile brings a smile and a sigh of relief to me. Just want him to get that crud out of his lungs.

I can't believe my baby at 9 months old has pneumonia!

24 comments:

JamericanSpice said...

That is scary and I"m so glad you followed your mommy instinct and took him in before it got worse.

I hope he gets well soon

Jackie White said...

Get well soon, ACE! And hold in their Ace's mom and dad!

Sue said...

Sorry your son's sick. At least you caught it early and it didn't progress to much. Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Marla said...

just the worse when they get sick and as warm as it has been around here it's even worse because it doesn't seem like you should be sick when the sun it out... good luck with the healing and thanks for stopping by the pak adventures today...

adiaha said...

Wow pneumonia, that is quite serious and very scary. I am happy for antibiotics and that your son is well and will be better soon.

Chin to the sky. You are blessed, he is a cutie pie!

Lola said...

Poor guy. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Stopping by for the June Comment Challenge.

http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com
http://lolasvictorygarden.blogspot.com
http://firecrotchrocket.blogspot.com

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

That's terrible. Don't you feel helpless when your child is sick? I'm glad he's doing so much better. I'm sure he'll be 100% in no time.

CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) said...

Aww, poor baby! I hope he feels 100% soon!

Our Crazy Life said...

Stopping by from SITS to say hello. I hope your baby is feeling better. My kids always seemed to get every cold, ear infection and flu that came around and I know it is as hard on you as him!! Good Luck!

Jenny said...

aww poor kid. my sister got that...a couple times I think. i was born with it. sucks to be sick especially when your so small.

Stacie said...

Hope your little guy getse to feeling better. Stopping by from Harriets Comment Challenge!

Yaya said...

Oh no! Poor baby! I just said a prayer for him to get better!

Stesha said...

I hope that Aiden is recovering well. The little ones seem so fragile, but he will be back to his normal self soon.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Ashley said...

Oh no! Poor little guy. Hope he gets better fast! I've been monitoring myself and daughter....we've had coughs for 3 weeks! So frustrating.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Ashley

Lauren From Texas said...

I'm so sorry. :(

But hi back from SITS! Your blog is super cute. :)

Golfersmom said...

So sorry about your baby being sick. It is so scary when they are sick. Hang in glad he is getting better.

Design it Chic said...

Poor little baby! I pray for you guys that he will get better soon!
Stay strong and be there for him!
Have a restful Sunday!

Stacy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

It is so scary when little ones get sick. I hope he feels better soon!

AB HOME Interiors said...

Awww! Stopping by from sits

~Billie~ said...

Oh no! Poor little guy. I hope he's better soon. I's so hard when little ones are sick. They just can't tell you how they feel.
I have a Bloggy Award waiting for you on my blog. =)

Lindy said...

Wow - I'm sorry to hear about your little guy.

The chest xrays are the worst. Having to hold my daughter down while they did that was very emotional for me.

Good luck!

McMommy said...

What a good doctor you have there...so happy he ordered the chest x-ray and didn't tell you to "wait it out"!

Xazmin said...

Poor baby! I'm glad he seems on the mend now. Pneumonia is no fun, especially in our little ones!

Take good care!

Online Printing said...

I hope that's not a very bad case of Pneumonia. Hope he's doing better now. Hang in there! :)