photo 365.jpg

Monday, June 1, 2009

First Blood

Dear Son,

Yesterday you cracked your mouth on your crib and caused your mouth to bleed. You took such a deep inhale before your ulimate wail I thought you were never going to take a breath again. I think that scared me more than the blood. How you managed to make the gums behind your tooth bleed, I do not understand the physics of. All I do know is that mommy and dad were very sad for you. You immediately sucked on a cold wet wash cloth provided by dad, as I rocked you in my arms.

There wasn't that much blood - I'm sure as you get older there were be much more. You are a very active, squirmy, on the go boy and I don't see one ounce of fear in those eyes. There certainly will be more cuts and scrapes along the way, I've resigned myself to this already. But yesterday you were so sad after the bonk, cut, bang? I was standing right there and I still don't understand how exactly you hit, cut, or banged against against the crib and caused that part of your mouth to bleed.

Ultimately the most tramautic part for mommy and dad was the time when the other one of us wasn't holding you for comfort. Yes we went back and forth comforting you (and ourselves) holding you. You're a tough guy. It didn't take long before you were back crawling around and being busy. To be safe though we exchanged your hard toys (blocks, cars, etc) and put out some softer toys for you to chew on if you were so inclinded while your little pallet healed.

Today it's like it didn't even happen. Your tooth looks fine, we were a little worried about it, and is snug in its socket and your lip shows no sign on a bruise - so while you shed just a tiny amount of blood you seem to have faired quite well. However, please in the future please refrain from chewing on your crib, headbanging with your mouth, or whatever it was that caused the loud bang followed by a short cry and the inhale that lasted faaaaar too long before the wail. Thank you, son.

All my Love,

Mommy

8 comments:

Brooke said...

i feel your pain - i freaked out the first accident my hubs had! :P

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I think this post can be summed up with the word, "boys." What is with these little men? Daredevils one and all...and giving you such a scare.

I am glad that you thought to write your boy this post. Hopefully, he'll listen a bit better to his lovely Mama going forward. :)

-Francesca

Kristen said...

Oh. Poor mommy and daddy. I am sure you were hurting way more then him. It doesn't get any easier. I am dreading my daughter's first broken heart.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

That silence before the wail is the worst. Seems like the longer it takes them to catch their breath the worse the injury was...so scary.

Glad he's ding fine...kids are so resilient.

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

My little man hasn't had first blood yet (amazlingly) but he is a squirmy wormy who has fell far too many times in the past week.
Makes your heart stop doesn't it?!?

Lindy said...

The silence before the cry always told me that my daughter was in pain....far too much for my comfort level.

The cuts and bruises get easier to deal with and harder to explain!

maritza said...

Oh no! Poor baby...and Mommy & Daddy of course.

Thanks for my cool award. When I have the energy I will update my blog to say Thanks to you! But in the meantime just know that it is appreciated.

Color Printing said...

I just can imagine how long that inhale was... poor baby. :(
Don't worry, I'm sure he'll grow up tough, with your help. Cheers!