photo 365.jpg

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute



Today I thought I'd do another tribute - because today's date happens to be somewhat significant. Today is my daddy's birthday. He would have been 61 today. I often find myself thinking of my dad whenever I see the time on a clock read 2:17. Most of the time it makes me smile, thinking it's our own private connection still. It's been a long three years that he's been gone; some sad days, lots happy, and lots of life lived without him to share it with.

My dad was an amazing man. He grew up in the south, met my mom in college, she gave him mono and then not too long after that they were married. They moved to California and moved into the house I called home not too long after. A year later I arrived. I was Daddy's Girl. Now being from the south my dad had an accent - over the years it lessened but being Daddy's girl - I still to this day say certain things with a twang or a drawl and it gets worse when I'm tired. I don't drink milk, I drink melk. I didn't have a dog growing up, I had a dawg. I don't get tired, I get tiard. Although my dad had his own word such as rurnt as in you won't ruin it, and pillar more commonly known as pillow. My dad worked a lot when we were kids, but always had time for camping trips and time with the family. I remember trips with his ham radio club to breakfast and then out to adventures of hunting down the signal. He would put up the tent in the backyard for us, he helped out with Girl Scouts by showing us how to fix cars. He was a loving father.

It was 2002 when my father first admitted he wasn't well - really he went until he was almost done. He was diagnosed at the time with emphysema and osteoporosis. My dad was a lifetime smoker and it ultimately is what killed him. I despise smoking. As time went on he had waves of good days and bad. Eventually he had to quit working and go on disability as he just wasn't able to do it. He was put on oxygen full time. He ultimately ended his battle in January 2006 with his family around him until he took his last breath. While devastated we were at peace that he was no longer in pain. He lived a good life.

He walked me down the aisle in 2004. He watched me and my brother graduate. He did not get to meet his grandchild(ren) but Ace has his eyes. He loved with his whole heart from everyone around him to every stray animal. He is my daddy. I love and miss him every day.






















15 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, beautiful Tribute

I am Harriet said...

Great story!

Mom said...

Your daddy loved you!!!

Jenners said...

Wow. This was a beautiful tribute to your dad! I actually got a little teary! I love how you have a special time and you think of him. I love how he influenced your speech! Those examples were so funny.

And the part about your mom and dad kind of makes it seem like she gave him mono and then he was just too tired to do anything but marry her!

And it is sad he never got to see his grandkids. The same thing happened with my father-in-law -- he passed the month before my son was born and my husband was just devastated by that. But we see so much of his father in my son -- especially in his hairline!

And thanks for visiting my blog today! It was much appreciated!

Izzy 'N Emmy said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful man! Thank you for sharing.

Lesley said...

a absolutely beautiful post...Stopping by see you are a fellow SITSsta....and showing some clicky love on your adsense....

Halftime Lessons said...

Wow Joelle...so sad and yet such a beautiful Tribute.

Im happy for you that you have such fond memories of him...I fear I may not have many when my own "paternal influences" are gone.

GREAT Tribute.
Jay

Deb said...

oh this is so touching. thanks for sharing it with us. my son is actually writing an essay on a person he looks up to (his dad) while i read this. his isn't nearly as good, but then again, he's 12.

i love the picture from your wedding.

Felicia said...

This is such a sweet sweet tribute to your father!

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday dad!!

Veronica Lee said...

That was a beautiful tribute! I'm glad I found your blog via Entre Card.

Sig said...

What a beautiful tribute. You are so lucky to have been loved so deeply.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Celine said...

That was a wonderful tribute!
Have a great Friday Joelle!

Julie said...

Just came back by your blog for some clicking and noticed this tribute for your dad. Very touching. I lost my dad pretty much the same way in December. Like you say, it's sort of a relief knowing he doesn't have to struggle for every breath anymore.

UPrinting said...

Now you made me cry! T_T
It made me miss my dad too. Hope he's doing fine. He's kinda having a hard time at work, and has to deal with us not being around. :(