photo 365.jpg

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Dentist

Yep that's right. Ace has 7 teeth now (4 on top and 3 on the bottom) and everything we've read says to take them to see a dentist six months after the first tooth breaks through and so... eight months after the first tooth came through we went. I have tried to be a good mommy and brush his tooth, now teeth ever since he's had them. In fact our routine most days is that after I have brushed mine we go to the other room and brush his. I use a little finger brush and he loves it. In fact he fusses when I put the brush away rather than during the brushing. It's really cute. Although I know it won't always last. He'll go through the hold him down phase I'm sure too.

We had a recommendation from a friend and away we went. We arrived at the dentist office and we went straight for the Nemo tank, yes I think an obligatory component of every dentist office these days and while Loving Husband checked us in, Ace and I went on the hunt for Nemo. We found him hiding in some coral. Then we were called back relatively quickly. Ace was given a tooth brush all his own with Tigger on it. He instantly began chewing on it while we chatted with the dental hygienist about our tooth brushing habits.

We then met the dentist. Ace was happy enough with him until he morphed into Mean Blue Mit Man. Yes when those gloves went on and he had to be laid into the dentist's lap, well Ace was to say the least... not thrilled. The doctor inspected his teeth and gums and noted what I had feared that he has indeed chipped a tooth. However, it isn't a jagged chip and the dentist doesn't feel anything needs to be done to it, so it will remain that way. He noted also that Ace's baby teeth are very close together and that likely will result in braces and other dental work down the line. Both my husband and I never doubted that trouble, both of us are dental cash cows, a dentist's pocketbook's dream, I could go on. Suffice it to say, we've had a lot of dental work done.


After the exam which seriously was less than 5 minutes we went over a few good habits to try to stick with and add into our routine and then Ace received a bath toy - an orange(ish) frog. Between his tooth brush and his frog he was in heaven. He held onto the frog the whole trip home (we took the blunt eye gouging, throat gagging stick toothbrush away for the car ride.) It was really cute. So overall, Ace while not a fan of MBMM but liked the dentist well enough.

2 comments:

AK said...

I am really sad that I missed out on some of ur posts..Don't know y,but I couldn't get it on my reading list. Today I was reading all other blog I am following and I thought, 'hey y she is not writing anything??'I just came over and yippee!! 'u r writing' but alas!! 'I am not seeing them'. Anyways as I am here, no way to leave without commenting. Congrats to aiden for having his 7th teeth...

Lorie Shewbridge said...

How exciting... his very own toothbrush and a bath toy from the blue-mit man. Times have changed when I was little... my dentist when I was a kid had hands that tasted like cigarettes (YUK), wore no gloves and gave us CANDY when we left...
Sounds like you are doing everything just right.
Thanks for sharing.