photo 365.jpg

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Test Run with Fondant

I have been addicted as of late to all the cake shows that are on tv these days. Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, Food Network Challenge, I could go on - there are so many and I watch um most of them :) and with Ace's first birthday coming up, I've been inspired to do something grand. However, I thought it best to do a test run before the big event because I was going to attempt working with fondant for the first time. For a test run I thought it worked out wonderfully! The cake is nothing special, and neither is the frosting really - both box and containers. The fondant though was the 'homemade' piece of the cake.

It is a marshmallow based fondant and I originally acquired the recipe from this website, although like always I altered it to my liking.


16 ounces white mini-marshmallows2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds icing sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening (although I used FAR less than this, because I find Crisco so gross!)



I melted the marshmallows in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds for 2 minutes, then added the powdered sugar. I kneaded the fondant adding water as it was necessary, folding in more of the powdered sugar as I went. After I got the right texture, then kneaded in the food coloring to obtain the color that I wanted. Gently coated it in Crisco (yeck!) wrapped it in plastic wrap and the put it in the fridge for several hours. When I was ready to start wrapping the cake, I microwaved the fondant for 10 seconds and then got to rolling. Then applied it to the frosted cake (always frost the cake it helps the fondant stick to the cake.) Repeat the step for the next layer.



















After applying the fondant use a knife or a pizza cutter to remove the excess! Then decorate as you see fit. Nemo on the top was made out of fondant molded to be "nemo" shaped and then dyed frosting to paint him. He looked a tad sad, but that's ok it was a test run and I have a plastic Nemo to put on top of the actual birthday cake. The sand is brown sugar. Ace enjoyed sampling the cake, I think he'll do just fine come his big day!


7 comments:

Alison said...

moist cake tip...add coke instead of water to chocolate cake (sprite with vanilla)

AP Mommy said...

Oh that is a good one, but I like to add vanilla or chocolate (depending on cake) pudding. Just a snack pack or two.

Meg @ What Meg Makes said...

Stopping by from SITS :D

Very cute! If I ever have a child who likes legos... I already have their birthday cake in mind!!

The Redhead Riter said...

I'm not even going to try that...LOL

lil' bit said...

Looks great! Love the new blog!

Vodka Logic said...

I love Cake Boss and the cake competition shows. I don't plan on cooking many cakes but fun to watch.

Yours looks great.

xx

Jenn Erickson said...

Wow, what a trip! I'm a pastry chef and cake artist (I do the same type of stuff as Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes) and have never seen this great shortcut method for making fondant. Too cool! Thanks for sharing. I hope your post will inspire others to try their hand at cake artistry.

Warm regards,
Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

P.S. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!