photo 365.jpg

Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Baby Shower Gift

I love to make diaper cakes! It's a great way to give the mother-to-be a practical and useful present and additionally some cute smaller items in a very fun presentation. However, this mommy-to-be is going the cloth diaper route, and well - that'd be one really pricey diaper cake. So my creative hunt began with the printing of the registry and the churning of my brain - what did we use a lot of when Ace first arrived. Well, diapers and wash cloths!

Yes, we used wash cloths as burp cloths. Because really, while the over the shoulder coverage is important, odds are baby will spit up on themselves or not on the cloth at all requiring wipe off rather than spit up on. Plus wash cloths are far more portable in larger quantities than full size burp cloths - so we found that we utilized many before loads of laundry were done. It worked out great to have a plethora of them.

So upon perusing the the registry and noting the wash cloth usage from our own experience the idea struck me to make a "Bath Cake" for Mommy (and baby Madeleine) - so a towel, wash cloths of varying size and texture, some Johnson & Johnson travel size soaps, hair brush and comb set and some cute girlie duckies and wa-la the Bath Cake is complete.

Then comes my favorite part: wrapping it! It's just in plastic wrap you say? Nothing fancy? True! However, it is shrink wrapped! Yes, I set the cake nestled into the basket which is sitting on regular size white wash cloths to give it some height in the basket and to continue the "bath" theme; then the plastic wrap is placed over and taped to the bottom of the basket. Then I broke out the blow drier (on the high setting) and started from the base and just melted the shrink wrap to the basket. I have to say that I'm a tad over excited about it... but seriously it was a lot of fun. It makes me want to shrink wrap other things. Just for the heck of it.
Interested? I'm selling them on Etsy if you're in need of a shower gift!


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Baby wash rags make great cloth wipes for baby's bum too! I'm sure she'll get lots of use out of it & its beautiful! Keep a look out on my blog next month for pictures of the cloth-diaper cake my sister is making!!

Heather said...

Thank you so much! This bath cake turned out so cute. :) And I love seeing what other moms find to be super useful.

It's so pretty, I don't want to un-wrap it. I'm going to leave it looking cake-like until after she's born. :)

S Club Mama said...

sooo cute!

Kristen said...

That came out fabulous! Good job!

Dreamgirl said...

Those gifts are just too cute! Lucky moms!
Just stopping by from SITS wishing you a great week!

Lauren said...

Very cute!!

Lorie Shewbridge said...

That is so beautiful!! What a great idea...I love the diaper cakes, but this really is a great idea for moms who either wnat to cloth diaper or if you'd just like to give something other than diapers. You are really talented.