photo 365.jpg

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A little birdie

It was only a little over 10 months ago that I started to crochet. To date I've completed two blankets, eight scarfs, a strand of garland, and two birdies! The heart garland was my first attempt with creating a rounded shape and so I thought with that success under my belt I thought I'd give amigurumi a shot. Amiwha?? Amigurumi is a Japanese term for crocheted (or knitted) stuffed animals and my Crochet Today came with the cutest little bird pattern. So I went for it. The hardest part was trying to get started and getting the 'magic ring' formed. I got the hang of it though and away I went.

This picture is actually of the first birdy that I made. Being the first go at translating the pattern into actuality it had its flaws. In fact the butt of this birdie is a bit short and stubby compared to the second one that I completed. However, I gave the second one away too quickly so I only have the prototype to show you. :) The second one though was far closer to what it 'should' be though. I'm currently working on the third birdie to give to a friend's daughter. This particular birdie is now Ace's and it is currently lost in the abyss called the toy box.

I used an I gauge needle, the body and wings of the bird are made with Caron Country Yarn, the beak is made with Lion Brand Cupcake Yarn in Lemon Drop, and then the eyes are just a basic black.

2 comments:

Ann On and On... said...

Oh my goodness! I love that little thing. For some reason I am into birds lately.
You just started? WOW!

Jackie White said...

So cute!! I might have to learn how to do that...