photo 365.jpg

Monday, March 30, 2009

Chaos & Lawyering

Life is often chaotic and beyond our control. I think that is part of why I became an attorney. That even amid chaos and conflict, there is the ability and knowledge to fight for what is right - and that doesn't always mean the law or at least the law of the "land". Many people asked me (including my grandma) when I was young why I wanted to become an attorney. Growing up in the church, being a Christian, these things didn't seem to mesh well with the ever famous attorney prominently featured in a handful myriad of jokes. I told people then and I still tell people now, I want to help people. I want to fight for what is right. I wanted to do the job the way a Christian should do it, because why many people despise attorneys sometimes they are necessary.

It is a blessing that I am able to use my knowledge to help settle my grandmother's estate. It is nice that I am able to help out friends and family with real estate transactions or even answer simple legal questions to put people's minds at ease. I only wish I had an infinite amount of resources and help available to me to help more. Since I am now a SAHM I no longer have insurance or a firm to back me and it makes helping out on large scale events nearly impossible. That and Ace also contributes to the inability to become knee deep in paperwork anytime soon.

I guess all of this to say, I wish I was licensed in Utah and I so wish I could help my dear friend Lori with her custody battle, but while I can't help legally much I certainly can help in praying for her family. As chaos continues to ensue, continue to pray for their family. Continue to pray for peace and enjoyment of this time even amid the chaos.

6 comments:

Crazee Juls said...

....I wanted to be an attorney growing up too...
But it didn't work out that way, so I chose education instead...not that I regret it, but I wanted to be an attorney for the same reasons you mentioned above...

I will pray for your friend. That's got to be such a difficult thing to deal with. I can't even imagine.

Kristen Andrews said...

custody battles are the worst, my brother had to go through that it is nice that you can provide some advice and support that is priceless. Cute stuff in your Etsy shop. :)

Kristen said...

Thanks! It's bad that I'm up so late that I was, haha, but oh well :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I always wanted to be a lawyer like Elle Woods!

I am Harriet said...

Hi.
Just stopping by from SITS to say hello.
Have a great Tuesday!

UPrinting said...

I wish Lori all the best. They are the best parents Matthew can have, and I hope they'll go through this problem successfully. My prayers are with them. :)

Cool! You're a lawyer?!