photo 365.jpg

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dr. Seuss Food & Fun

Dr. Seuss is so much fun to read, bizarrely tongue-twisting, a whole world of adventure and weirdness!  I love it!    So on Dr. Seuss' Birthday this year (which happened to fall on a Saturday) I went all out on oddly themed Dr. Seuss food and drink!    To see my other post about Seuss-y School go here where there is another ideal for food there as well.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish:  
Pink Ink Drink!

I have a hard time choosing between three books of Dr. Seuss that are my favorite:  Ten Apples Up on Top,   One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, and Green Eggs and Ham.   All have special memories for me - but I think if I must choose OFTFRFBF (now that's an acronym for sure!)  truly encompasses Dr. Seuss in a broad peek into the worlds he created.    Within it there is a Mink who drinks pink ink and so with a little food dye and some pink straws the kid's milk was transformed!   They loved it!  Mmmm ink!



Green Eggs and Ham:

Crack 6 eggs into a bowl and dump a whole lotta green food dye in.  Then scramble them up!   Ace was a bit bummed I didn't dye the ham, but he recovered quickly when the aforementioned drink emerged to accompany it.    After the kids were mostly through with their food - I brought out this book and we read through it.   (As a good tip, it's a motivator if the oddly colored eggs aren't a hit.)  In our house - I've never seen our kids gulp scrambled eggs down again.  I might dye food more often! 




The Cat in The Hat:
Jam Hat Pancakes!

When dinner rolled around it was time for some festive food again that was Seussical!  So I stirred up some more ink for them to drink and went to flipping some flap jacks in a smaller size.   Then to get a more precise size I broke out the biscuit cutters and cut them into one shape and then laid with strawberry jam.    They were a huge hit with Ace.  Mae.. just made herself sticky and needed an alternative.   "No like it!"




The Lorax:
Bath Time in the Truffula Forest

As Mae went onto consume something less Seussical for her dinner - I drew them a bath and was inspired by the foam circles that I had used for a previous polkadot themed bath they had a while back.   So I went to the craft room to find other foam and found some tree trunk material, clouds, and some orange and yellow and in 5 minutes cut up supplements for the forest.     Went and set that all up while the kids remained at the table and then when they were done let them see their new bath world.    They spent some of their time deforesting the walls and it was fun to talk about that.  During their bath I played the soundtrack from The Lorax.    They had a great time!
 



Bedtime was followed up by reading The Cat in the Hat, and we finished by reading OFTFRFBF. ;)   Ending our evening with the following:

"And now good night. It is time to sleep. 
So we will sleep with our pet Zeep. 
Today is gone. Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one. 
Every day, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere."  
- Dr. Seuss
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

No comments: